F*&K Life Hacks...5 Tips for life planning and organization
Seriously in the last few years I have heard the term life hack about a billion times. What does that even mean? If your a busy mom/employee/human are life hacks even sustainable? Maybe, but personally I like to make up my own rules. OK not really but I do like to follow some sort of sustainable plan.
Here is where we get a little personal. My husband is in Naturopathic physician school. To be clear it is actually medical school, they are primary care physicians in many states including Washington where we live. What does this mean for our family? First of all I have a new found respect for my friends with military spouses, and my husband comes home every weekend, not just every few months or years. It also means that with the help of friends and family I am a single parent most of the week to three children ranging from 15 years to 14 months.
Yes I know its a spread...there is nothing wrong with that...stop making that face. Yep the one you are making stop it. I see it everyday.
It's the oops "did she really do that on purpose" face. Well cut it out. We love our family and life, and sure the tiny one was a surprise, but she completes us and she is our best surprise yet.
Anyway let's get to some sustainable habit changing tips for a busy mom, dad, career focused human, or anyone really who wants to not lose their frigging mind while trying to keep their health as a focus.
5 Tips for Meal and Life Planning
- Make a plan...yep either use a meal planning service, or make your own meal plans. You can even use our paleo template that you get free when you sign up on our mailing list.
- Meal prep. This can be 1-2 hours a couple days a week, or 3 hours on one day like a Sat or Sun.
- Move your body: write down the days you will move your body. Walk, yoga, run, crossfit, tacfit. What ever your jam make a date with yourself and stick to it. You are as important as any other date in your calendar.
- Use the fricking calendar! Yes you, with the smartphone. Use your google calendar and set your alarms. Planning for 1 is a challenge. I plan for 4 and still can't keep things squared away. The calendar helps. Use it.
- Take a deep breath. You got this. If the laundry takes an extra day so be it. You can even use your friends. Check out these amazing planners over at the Crunchy Super Mom site. These ladies have their S&%^ dialed in. Also their podcasts are great for a short walk, and impart some amazing life hacks...ha ha just kidding but no really they do.
Easy peasy right. It really does take some small habit change to get your organization game down. Also it will relieve stress to know things are set up and ready to go. Plus no one likes forgetting things like appointments.
Now onto a yummy recipe for Peach Streusel Muffins. GF/DF of course.
Peach Streusel Muffins
- 3/4 cup GF flour
- 3/4 cup ground oats or oat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground dried ginger
- 1 cup diced peaches (about 1-2 peaches)
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 TBS honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 3 TBS coconut oil or butter
Heat oven to 350 degrees
Combine all dry ingredients in bowl. If using whole oats grind in food processor or vitamix prior to adding.
Combine wet ingredients in separate bowl. Wait for the peaches until the end.
Combine wet and dry ingredients and fold in peaches
For the topping
Grind oats, and pecans until course
Mix with sugar
Add in melted oil or butter
Fill muffin cups about 3/4 way full, top with streusel and bake for 20-25 min or until knife comes out clean.